Love is in the air! Valentines Day is coming up very soon and today I have a fun and easy DIY that I just know you will love! These felted heart pillows with pockets for love notes are darling, easy to make and will convey your love in a very thoughtful and intentional way.
My amazing mom came up with the idea to make these felted heart pillows and together we decided that adding pockets to them for little love notes or valentines would be the perfect touch!
*No worries if you aren’t skilled at sewing, there is no sewing machine required.
This post may contain affiliate links. While it’s no additional cost to you, clicking these links helps keep this blog going. You can view my disclosure policy for details.
- red & white felt (JOANN has a great selection)
- heart templates ( large & small)
- red and white thread (the thicker the better)
- disappearing ink marking pen
- tapestry needle threader
- fabric only scissors
- blanket stitch tutorial ( I used this one)
- poly-fil stuffing (not pictured)
- fun paper for little notes
Here Is How You Make Them:
- Once you have all of the supplies find or make a large heart template on a piece of card-stock. You can free hand the heart or search for a free heart printable on Pinterest. Our template is 6 inches in size.
- Trace two hearts ( for one pillow) on to your red felt using the disappearing ink marker. Tip: Cut hearts out with fabric only scissors.
- Using your large heart template free hand a smaller heart (about 3 inches) inside the template and cut it out. This will now be a template for the white heart pocket and it will be guaranteed to fit perfectly on your larger red heart.
- Use a simple running stitch (shown above) with thick or doubled up red thread to adhere the white pocket to the front. Tip: Use a tapestry needle threader to easily thread your needle. Once threaded wrap the end of the thread around your finger, roll the thread between your fingers and pull it tight to create a knot at the end of the thread. (you can always google this if you are a visual learner like me 😉 ) Make sure not to stitch the top of the white heart closed, thus creating the pocket!
* note-the white heart pocket can be optional if you prefer an all red heart. We made both!
- Sandwich the plain red large heart to the large heart you just stitched the white heart to. Line them up and use a blanket stitch to attach the two pieces. We used this very helpful blanket stitch tutorial from Holiday Crafts and Creations. Make sure to leave a section at the end not stitched so you can fill your pillow.
- Finally, stuff your little pillow with poly-fil and finish stitching the pillow closed.
- Cut some cute paper, (I found mine at Hobby Lobby) write your love note and stick it in the pocket! That’s it! You now have a sweet felted heart pillow with the perfect pocket for love notes!
Felted Heart Pillows With Pockets for Love Notes
I think these turned out just as darling as can be and I had so much fun making these with my mom! I can’t wait to start writing some notes and spreading some homemade love to my family!
If you need some more Valentine’s Day inspiration check out my Last Minute Love : 10 Free & Tasty Valentine’s Day Ideas.
As always if you have any questions please leave them in the comments below. Much love and thanks for stopping by!
*You might also love my Quick and Easy Heart Shaped Shortbread Cookies!