A few months ago my husband finally said the words I had patiently been waiting for… he was ready to start looking at new sofas. The minute he uttered those words I immediately knew what sofa I wanted; the York Slipcovered sofa from Pottery Barn.This post may contain affiliate links. While it’s no additional cost to you, clicking these links helps keep this blog going. You can view my disclosure policy for details.
Honest Review: Pottery Barn York Slipcovered Sofa
I had been doing sofa research for many months prior to this and all the while prepping and convincing my husband that soon it would be time for a new sofa. Our previous sofa was over 10 years old (you can see it here) and it had served its purpose through several babies and puppies and boy was it gross! Our youngest is 6 now and our sweet Wheaten pup Kona is over a year old and I felt that we were ready for our “adult” couch! But we wanted to be realistic and still be able to live normally without worrying about ruining a new sofa.
As you know, Pottery Barn’s furniture is beautiful but not cheap. I had fallen in love with their York Slipcovered sofa after seeing it on Life on Virginia Street’s Instagram page. I loved the slipcover and bench cushion look! The best news was that she had done a review of the sofa on her blog. I found it so helpful! But the price just seemed too high. We looked at the Farlov from IKEA (much cheaper) and even sat on it but it was not comfortable and the fabric choices were limited and felt stiff. I scoured Pinterest and time and time again kept coming back to the York sofa.
Testing It Out
My husband is very visual (like myself) so I sent him to the nearest Pottery Barn 45 minutes away to see the sofa, test it out and get some fabric samples. Of course he immediately called me wanting another sofa (a manly sectional of course) with a different “more practical” fabric than the one I had asked him to look at. For a hot second I considered what he was saying but then decided to go with my gut and the reviews I had read on the York sofa and the Performance Everydaylinen fabric.
Once he brought the fabric samples home (stone and oatmeal in Performance Everydaylinen ) and I compared them to our two Restoration Hardware chairs, (the ones I scored at a local consignment shop Curate Consignments) and found that the fabrics were almost identical! I was thrilled and decided to go with the color Stone.
Making the Investment
Next, we re-read the reviews, talked about how this was a good investment for us and how we planned to have this sofa for the long haul. My sweet husband could tell how much I really loved it and he told me he trusted me and to go for it. (Maybe because I kept referring to it as my dream sofa! Ha Ha 😉 ) We saved and waited for one of their great sales and purchased it on-line. This was our first time buying anything from Pottery Barn (besides pillows) so we didn’t really know what to expect. I did know that the lead time said 5-8 weeks.
The Specific Details
We ordered the York Slope Arm Slipcovered Deep Seat Grand Sofa 95″ with a bench cushion and down blend wrapped cushions. For the fabric we chose the Performance Everydaylinen(TM) by Crypton (R) Home in stone. You can find the exact sofa we ordered by clicking HERE.
Fast forward to this past weekend when our sofa was delivered! So far we LOVE this sofa! It fits 5 out of the 6 of us comfortably and looks like it was meant for our home. It makes this mama happy to walk into our family room and see it. I have to say it was worth the wait and I know we will enjoy for many years to come!
- This sofa is made to last. Each one is custom made and made to your specifications. SO many options!
- Pottery Barn always has sales which helps drive down the price if you are watching!
- It works with almost all decorating styles. ( I love how the linen gives off a relaxed and casual vibe while still maintaining high style.)
- Their fabric options are endless.
- It is amazingly comfortable! The extra pillows can be added or removed depending on your preference of depth when you sit on the sofa.
- It has a slipcover which is great because you can wash, dry clean or replace it if necessary. (Note: the wrinkles seen in the pictures above have almost all fallen out on their own.)
- Pottery Barn offers a “white glove” delivery service. This went extremely smooth for us and the delivery guys were very kind, careful and professional.
The Cons (remember this is an honest review)
- Wait time: We ordered our sofa at the end of November and didn’t get it until this past week in mid February. That’s almost 3 months and longer than their estimated 5-8 week time frame.
- I never heard from Pottery Barn besides the confirmation email I originally received after I purchased the sofa. However, I was able to track the sofa via the email but never got a call to schedule the delivery. I called and set up the delivery on my own. Makes me wonder if I could have done that sooner!
- The price is rather high, especially if you don’t buy during one of the sales.
Pottery Barn York Slipcovered Sofa
I hope this honest review of the York Pottery Barn slipcovered sofa was helpful for you. Overall we are extremely happy with this purchase and I will be back to update you occasionally on the wear and tear of this sofa. If you have any questions for me please leave them in the comments below!
Did you like this post? Just click on the picture to pin it for later!