Daddy’s Molasses Cookies
These delicious Daddy’s Molasses cookies are topped with the perfect amount of icing and are a wonderful treat any time of the year!
Ever since I was a little kid I can remember my mom and my grandma making these yummy cookies. They were my grandpa’s favorite and they always made them for him but he would always share them with us! Now I want to share them with you!
Making The Molasses Cookies
To start mix all of the dry ingredients, the flour, baking soda, salt and spices. Then cream the sugar and 1 1/4 cups of vegetable oil. The original recipe calls for shortening but we always use vegetable oil. Both work just fine! Next, beat in the molasses, water, vinegar and eggs. Blend in the dry ingredients and add raisins.
TIP: Sometimes we make half of the batch with raisins and the other half without raisins. The kids usually prefer them raisin free!
Spread the dough in a shallow cookie sheet making sure to smooth the top carefully. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes. All ovens vary so make sure to check on the cookies around 18 minutes and if edges are brown, remove them. Then make sure they cool completely before cutting or frosting.
To make the frosting you will need 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar,1 teaspoon of vanilla and 1/4 teaspoon of lemon extract. Combine these in a bowl. Next, slowly add some milk until it looks spreadable over the top of the cookies. Spread it over the cooled cookies, still in the pan, using the back of a spoon.
TIP:The frosting is thin so increase powdered sugar if thicker frosting is desired. My kids love when the frosting is thicker!
Finally use a knife to cut the cookies into bars. Serve and enjoy with a large glass of milk!
The Recipe For Daddy’s Molasses Cookies
- 4 cups of flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. allspice
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- 1 tsp. ground cloves
- 1 1/4 cup of vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of dark molasses
- 4 Tbs. water
- 2 Tbs. vinegar
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups of seedless raisins
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. lemon extract
- Enough milk to create spreadable frosting
- In a large mixing bowl mix-sift flour, baking soda, salt and spices.
- Next cream together sugar and vegetable oil; beat in molasses, water, vinegar and eggs.
- Blend in dry ingredients and add raisins (if you desire) t create the dough.
- Spread the dough in a shallow cookie sheet, smoothing the top carefully.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes at 375 degrees or until edges are lightly browned.
- Cool thoroughly!
- Mix together powdered sugar, vanilla and lemon extract.
- Slowly add milk to until the frosting becomes a spreadable consistency.
- Use the back of a spoon to evenly spread the frosting over the pan of cookies.
*If desired you can add raisins to only half of the dough to make some of the cookies raisin free.
*For thicker frosting add more powdered sugar.
Can You Freeze these Cookies?
Yes these molasses cookies can be made ahead and frozen! Bake cookies just as the recipe says except skip the frosting. Once you are ready to enjoy them simply defrost them from the freezer then frost them and enjoy!
Daddy’s Molasses Cookies
I hope you will try these delicious cookies and let me know what you think! I just know Daddy’s Molasses cookies will have you in love… at first bite. 🙂
*If you like yummy cookies you will love my Scottish shortbread cookie recipe!
If you found this post helpful, would you be a great friend and share it on Pinterest?