Hey friends and happy Tuesday! Summer is finally here and that means the red, white and blue décor is out in abundance and I’m here for it. If you saw my last post, Our Porch Through the Seasons, you might have noticed the red and white little jelly jar votives that currently sit next to my favorite pew. Today I want to share how simple it is to make those votives from old jelly jars.
*As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post contains other affiliate links too for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Jelly Jar Votives
Spoiler alert…these jelly jar votives are not only darling and budget friendly but the jelly its self is every bit as yummy! So when delicious and cute meet you know I am all about it.
However, I can’t take all the credit. My mom introduced me to this fabulous jelly and has used these jars for gifting and bottling up her delicious hot chocolate at Christmastime.
These are perfect for your porch, back patio, outdoor steps and even a windowsill. Oh, and how pretty would they be all lined up along an outdoor table setting? Or how about lining your walkaway or driveway with them around the 4th of July!!!
Gosh I have so many ideas running through my head now!
Supplies Needed for Jelly Jar Votives
This is everything you will need to make these darling upcycled votives for yourself:
- White decorative sand
- Tea light candles or Battery Operated Tea Lights
- Bonne Maman Strawberry Preserve
How To Make Jelly Jar Votives
This simple, budget friendly upcycle of the cutest jelly jars is sure to have you running to the nearest grocery store and craving some toast and jelly!
- Purchase this yummy jelly and ask all your friends to as well. (the more jars the better!)
- Once you have thoroughly enjoyed your jelly, hopefully at a tea party or two, wash them out and remove the label if you like. We sometimes like to leave the label for more of a vintage look. It really is a pretty!
- Next, with the lid removed, fill the jars about 1/2 full with white decorative sand . You could also use small rocks, beads or anything you have on hand. We used sand because the candles nestled down nicely in the sand.
- Gently nestle your choice of tea candles into the sand. How cute would blue tea lights be? Perfectly patriotic!
- Arrange your jar or jars how you like, light the candles ( or turn them on) and enjoy! I like to keep the lids next to the jars or under them when the lights are on.
- After you enjoy your candles, and have turned them off or blown them out, put the lids back on to keep them clean and bug free!
Make sure to stop by and take a peek at the rest of our patriotic porch decorated for summer!
How to Make Votives from Old Jelly Jars
That’s it! Such an easy little DIY and upcycle project with such a fun outcome. These old jelly jars have just the right amount of color and the vintage vibe that I love…we have been enjoying them all summer long on our patriotic porch!
So, what do you think…are these votives I made from old jelly jars your jam? (Ok sorry for that last cheesy line, I think I’m so funny!) 🙂